I’m feeling pretty good about something.
I used to be the type to sleep in quite late. I often struggled to get to work for 9:30 AM.
Well, I’m getting up at 5:30 AM now. Also, I have made it to work for 8:00 AM every day since I started going back to work. I’m still adjusting somewhat, but it’s nice getting done at 4:00 PM instead of 5:00 PM or 6:00 PM.
Getting up earlier also gives me more time to make breakfast. Because I’m leaving much earlier than I used to, I have way more buffer if something happens along the way.
Speaking of, this week started with a bus breaking down on the side of the road. It was near the university stop though, so it was no big deal to walk over and catch another bus. I wasn’t even late to work. It was pretty weird though. The thing just lost all power and all the driver could do was get it to coast to the side of the road.
I’m feeling proud of myself here too. As I’ve been doing this round of edits, I think I’ve figured some key things out about writing a novel. At least, I hope I have.
Previously, I’d often cut a character out just to avoid dealing with them. Now, I use them as a way to push the story forward and make things a little more tense. This also leads to giving me an extra couple of paragraphs.
Somewhere along the way, I also learned to write less dialogue and more descriptive and action-oriented prose. At least it feels that way to me. There’s undoubtedly still room to grow, but I’m feeling a little less amateurish than before.
Hey, look! My word count is increasing again. Yay 🙂
- The Page & The Magician: 72,189/80,000
Money is a bit tighter than I’d like, but considering I got a tire change done and some things for my home, I’m doing okay. I’m waiting for my next update to come in on my balances.
- R. Card: 73.22%
- S. Card: 4.7%
- OSAP Loan: 6.86%
- Savings: TBD
I keep wavering on whether I want to go to a gym or get myself the other equipment I need at home. The gym is actually cheaper if I just look at one year, but the ROI on the equipment is 18 months. Plus I know I won’t want to go out in the winter. The only real benefits to the gym are less stuff in my space and the potential to make some friends. Maybe I could try the gym this year and if it doesn’t work out, get the equipment later on? It’s around $22 a month.
After writing the above and thinking on it for the day, I’ve decided I’m going to treat my cleaning as my gym for now. I’m also thinking that long-term, the gym is better because I’m very limited on space.
This is an odd way to clear something off of my list, I suppose, but I think it makes the most sense for now. I’ll be continuing Iaido of course, plus I get extra walks in at work whenever possible. I’m planning on moving my living room lighting around too, which will give me more space to practice martial arts at home.
And another thing dawned on me about the gym. The train will take me almost right there when it’s up and running, so it’s actually beneficial to hold off for that reason too.
- Iaido: I don’t have a plan per se for my first Sandan challenge yet, but I will work my butt off soon and I’ll need to make it to Tuesdays at least a couple of times a month. Perhaps the first and third Tuesdays of the month. The second one has an event I’d like to go to more often and the end of the month often has me out late, so would be too exhausting.
- General: With my tires away, I’d like to say I’m making a lot of progress, but not quite. Hopefully soon. I’ve been pretty tired by the time the workday is done. Maybe this is why monks clean in the morning? TO do that, I’d need to get up at 5:00 AM…
- Office: Cleaning up my desk is one of my main goals right now. It’s something I can chip away at during the week.
- Bedroom: Curtain rod with curtains up in my closet. Next is to catch up on laundry.
- Bathroom: There’s a chance I’ll be having my water turned off because a neighbour needs work done below me. I’m hoping to piggyback on this and get shutoffs installed for my sink, then I’ll be able to remove the old vanity entirely!
- Dining Room: As I finished reading The Monk’s Guide to a Clean Mind, I looked up and got the answer to my current dilemma. I have a large bookshelf in my bedroom I’m currently using for spare cloth. My cloth needs are far outweighed by my need of a pantry, but I don’t really want to spend money right now. Enter the bookshelf. Looks like I have some work to do this weekend! My first task will be to clear the shelves and the area where it will be going. The next will be to figure out how to move it without damaging any floors.
- Read: 9/30
- Class: I have heard back and need to take the next step.
- Piano: I moved my keyboard into my living room and I find it easier to access and play more regularly.